ASUS has now became a well known name in the world, but a few years back it was quite unknown. We all thought and still think that it is some Chinese brand.
Actually, it is a Taiwanese company.
The name “ASUS” is taken from a Greek word Pegasus meaning “the winged horse“.
ASUS was founded by four hardware engineers, previously working for Acer in 1989.
There is a great story about initial success of ASUS.
“Company created a prototype for a motherboard using Intel 486 processor without any access to the actual processor
They approached Intel to request a processor for testing and Intel was facing some issues with the processor so these genius solved it and guess what, ASUS started receiving Intel engineering samples before all of it’s competitors and after that there was no looking back.“
ASUS created some of the most reliable motherboards which are still in use today.
In 2008, ASUS got divided into three parts:
ASUS – focusing on branded computers and electronics.
Pegatron – focusing on OEM manufacturing of motherboards and components.
Unihan corporation – focusing on non-PC manufacturing(cases etc).
- Memp Pad
- Eee Slate
- Zenfone 2(Recent)
- Pegasus 2(forth coming)
- Zenfone series
ASUS Padfone is a product which needs special mention.
It was first launched in 2011 and the features were extraordinary(compared with any phone of that time):
- Full HD 5 inch screen(in the phone)
- 2gb RAM
- Full HD 10-inch screen(tablet with dock)
- 64 GB internal memory
- Quad core processor
- 13 megapixel camera and much more.
Some strange facts about ASUS:
- ASUS notepads are one of the first devices of this kind to reach on mount Everest(functioning well too).
- In 2001, ASUS released wireframe display drivers that allowed players to use wallhack, announcing the settings as “special weapons”. This was criticized by gaming community for encouraging unfair play and after that Punkster anti cheat software started detecting & blacklisting players using ASUS display drivers.
- ASUS Zenfone 2 (recently launched) is the first of it’s kind to have a RAM of 4 gb after that many companies followed the same.
The best thing about ASUS is that it is not constant, it is always trying something new unlike the big brands Apple and Samsung. ASUS in every way can put a great competition to all big brands and we hope to see some more innovative advancements by them very soon.